Member Site Forums Rosetta 3 Rosetta 3 – Build/Install Debian Med: Sharing Rosetta build experience with Debian and Ubuntu Reply To: Debian Med: Sharing Rosetta build experience with Debian and Ubuntu

Anonymous

Many thanks for your kind reply. Compilation would default to the very latest version of Debian/Ubuntu that is available and the instructions in the folder named “debian” should work without changes on other distributions like “ubuntu”. Compilation in this case was performed with a 64bit Debian “Squeeze” and gcc 4.5.3. Ubuntu Natty has -0.0.1 about the very same version. To compile with gcc-4.6 was not yet attempted. From what I have observed, Rosetta is very much self-contained, so the only difficulty should be for the typically more strict later versions of gcc, i.e. changes should be backward-compatible. But if they are not, there shall be branches of that debian folder for that particular release of the particular Linux distribution. The only trick for gcc I had to apply was to disguise the version down to the supported 4.4, so the build instructions became
    scons cxx=gcc cxx_ver=4.4 bin

There was no change performed to the Rosetta sources except for the util.cc as described in this forum. And there should not be any surprises for you in the first place, everything should be communicated through this forum (or some other suiteable means). With util.cc already changed, for version 3.3 I would then create a new branch of that folder that does not contain that patch. Not used (since rather enormous) is BuildDocs.sh, below nonetheless a smallish fix to it because of the absent index.html.

The main benefit of this debian folder I see in the open invitation to compile Rosetta out of the box – it took me some 4-6 hours until it compiled and that initial setup time (and the intrinsic insecurity if everything was done right) should be dramatically reduced with that folder, i.e. at least once there are reports from Rosetta professionals that this package truly works. And I personally find updates far easier this way and the distribution of the software across a local computer lab or to bring it to one of the various Debian/Ubuntu cloud setups. Of particular value for the users of Rosetta may be the separation of the symbols in a separate package, which comes for free with the packaging:
    rosetta_3.2.1-1_amd64.deb
    rosetta-dbg_3.2.1-1_amd64.deb
    There can be further packages to split various binaries and the libraries when there is demand.

We do not have any download statistics for the subversion folders of Debian Med. The number of installations may appear in the popularity-contest at some point, even though there is no official Rosetta package in the archive. No idea if this is useful to your community … I personally am just somewhat curious, so I must admit.

--- rosetta-3.2.1.orig/BuildDocs.sh 2011-05-07 21:37:47.000000000 +0200
    +++ rosetta-3.2.1/BuildDocs.sh 2011-05-07 21:38:28.000000000 +0200
    @@ -1,9 +1,15 @@
    #!/bin/bash

+set -x
    +set -e
    +
    echo 'Building documentation for each src/doxygen.*'

mkdir html
    -cp doc/index.html html/
    +
    +if [ -r doc/index.html ]; then